British Driver’s License: can I drive in the UK?

Do you need a driver's licence to work or rent a car and explore the beautiful Scottish Highlands? Read this article to become a real British pilot! If you need a driver's licence for a job or are considering renting a car to explore the beautiful Highlands during your holiday (Visit for more about car rental), you will find here what you need to know to become an experienced British driver! First, you have to find out which of the following statements is right for you (1, 2 or 3).

I have a driver's license from my country or an international driver's license.

If you already have a driving licence from your country, you should know if you can drive in Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales) with your non-British licence by answering the questions on the official website. Click here if you can drive in the UK with your foreign licence. As you will see, the application of the following rules generally depends on your place of origin (with some exceptions and special conditions, it is therefore very important to consult the website for the most appropriate information): * I come from a European country: if you have a European Union (EU) driving licence, you can drive in Great Britain as long as your licence is valid, or up to the age of 70. No charge, you're ready to drive! * I come from a country outside the European Union: if you do not have a European Union driving licence, you can drive in Great Britain for a maximum period of 12 months. After 12 months, you will have to take a theoretical and practical test to obtain the driving licence issued in Great Britain. Click here to see the price of the theoretical exam on cars and motorcycles. Click here to see the price of the practical tests. If you want to exchange your foreign driver's license for a British one, you can see if you are eligible here.

If you don't have a driver's license

If you do not have a driving licence and wish to drive in Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales), you must apply for your first provisional driving licence. You can do this online or by going to the post office and completing a form entitled: Application for a driver's licence for a car, moped or moped. There you will find everything you need to know about your temporary driver's licence. Important: you will need to provide your national insurance number. Find out how to request one here.

I already have a British driving licence and would like to renew it.

If you wish to renew your British driving licence, you can apply for it here.

I want to know the costs.

Click here to find out more about British driver's licence fees. If you still have questions and/or would like to search for more information, go to the DVLA website (driver's licence and vehicle licence). The DVLA is the British government organisation responsible for maintaining the driver database in Great Britain. It is the agency that issues driving licences.
Holiday budget: An exchange or a car rental?
What to consider when reserving the collection of your rental car

Plan du site